|Install Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Desktop|
On Thursday, April 23rd, 2020, Canonical Ltd, the makers of Ubuntu Linux distribution officially released the long-awaited Ubuntu 20.04 version code-named “Focal Fossa”, it is an LTS (Long Term Support) version based on Linux kernel series 5.4, for which maintenance updates will be provided for 5 years until April 2025 and it will reach end-of-life in 2030.
New Features in the Desktop Edition
The new desktop features include a new graphical bootsplash (integrates with the system BIOS logo), refreshed Yarutheme, GNOME 3.36, Mesa 20.0 OpenGL stack, BlueZ 5.53, PulseAudio 14.0 (prerelease), Firefox 75.0, Thunderbird 68.7.0, and LibreOffice 6.4. Concerning network configuration, netplan comes with many added features.
Download Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Desktop ISO
The Ubuntu installation ISO image can be downloaded using the following link for the x64 bit system only.
In this article, you will learn how to install Ubuntu 20.04 LTS with screenshots. If you prefer an upgrade, read our guide that shows HowTo Upgrade to Ubuntu 20.04 from Ubuntu 18.04
Installation of Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Desktop
Once the BIOS detects the bootable media, it boots from it. After a successful boot, the installer will check your disk (file system), press Ctrl+C to skip this process.
|Checking Ubuntu Disk|
Select Install Ubuntu.
|Select Install Ubuntu|
|Select Keyboard Layout|
|Select Ubuntu Installation Type|
5. Now choose the actual installation type.
|Choose Installation Type|
Note that the installer will auto-select the device on which the boot-loader will be installed as shown in the following screenshot.
|Create New Partition Table|
7. Next, click Continue from the pop-up window to create an empty partition table on the device.
|Create New Empty Partition|
8. Now you should be able to see the free space created equivalent to the capacity of the hard drive. Double click on the free space to create a partition as described next.
|Free Space for Ubuntu Installation|
|Create root partition|
10. Now the new partition should appear in the list of partition as shown in the next screenshot.
|New Ubuntu Partition Table|
|Create Swap partition|
12. At this point, you should see two partitions created, the root partition and the swap partition. Next, click Install Now.
13. You will be prompted to permit the installer to write the recent changes concerning partitioning to disk. Click Continueto proceed.
|Write changes to disk|
14. Here, there are two scenarios we will consider.
First is using an unpartitioned hard drive with no operating system installed. Then secondly, we will also consider how to install on an already partitioned hard drive (with an existing OS e.g Ubuntu 18.04).
But we are followed first scenario on this tutorial.
15. Next, select your locationand click Continue.
|Select Current Location|
17. Now the actual base system installation will begin as shown in the following screenshot. Wait for it to finish.
|Ubuntu Base System Installation|
18. Once the system installation is complete, reboot your system by clicking Restart Now. Remember to remove the installation media, otherwise, the system will still boot from it.
|Ubuntu Installation Complete|
19. After the restart, click on your name from the interface below, then log into your new Ubuntu 20.04installation by providing the correct password you entered during the user creation step.
|Select user login|
|Connects Online Accounts|
|Help Improve Canonical|
|Ubuntu ready to go|
|Ubuntu 20.04 LTS|
Congratulations! You have just installed Ubuntu 20.04 LTS on your computer. Drop your comments via the form below.
You can view video here and subscribe to my channel.
One thought on “How to Install Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Desktop”
Thanks for your article. I would also love to say that your health insurance specialist also works for the benefit of the actual coordinators of your group insurance plan. The health agent is given a listing of benefits wanted by a person or a group coordinator. Such a broker will is seek out individuals or maybe coordinators which often best go with those wants. Then he shows his referrals and if all sides agree, the particular broker formulates legal contract between the two parties.